I have added ‘reinforcement’ purposely in the heading.
Listening requires concentration so that your brain processes meaning from words and sentences. But hearing is simply the act of perceiving sound by the ear. It does not involve concentration. You hear a random sound from anywhere but you listen to music, speech etc.
Importance of listening:
- Listening to others is an elegant art.
- Good listening reflects courtesy and good manners.
- Listening can improve social relations and conversation.
- Listening enhances learning.
How to become an active listener:
- Pay attention. Give the speaker your undivided attention, and acknowledge the message.
- Show that you’re listening. Use your body language and gestures to convey your attention, like, nod occasionally.
- Provide feedback. Ask questions or summarize the content.
- Do not interrupt the speaker just for the sake of saying something.
- Respond appropriately. Assert your opinions respectfully.
How long could you actively listen today? Did you feel that you already knew what you were listening to?
Do you still think you listened?